Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Birmingham, AL
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual aspects in your home. One issue homeowners have with wood windows is the chance for termite damage. Termites get most of their nourishment from wood, which may cause homeowners a lot of issues when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to remove or decrease the opportunity for termites to get in the immediate area of your home. Here are a few ideas from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help decrease the chance of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a route to get to the house. Especially for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also look for water and moisture, so it’s important to ensure your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and permit air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Stuffed gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are near the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. A lot of termites build their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Birmingham has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers innovative protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can look at your home for any current termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help prevent any damage, visit the Birmingham showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our experts offer a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 877-680-9617 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.