Looking for New Windows in Your Birmingham, AL Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When purchasing windows for your restoration or new construction project, you obviously want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you make this important decision, ponder these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior character of your Birmingham area home.
- The type of windows you select can make a significant difference in your home’s comfort level and energy costs.
- The material and durability of your windows can have a significant impact on the overall value of your Birmingham area residence if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to explore the style and function choices available, you will be delighted with your purchase and enjoy the pleasure of looking through your new windows for decades.
What factors should you think about when purchasing replacement windows for your Birmingham home?
- Will my new windows look good on my house? Consider the fact that you’re going to look through your replacement windows most often from the inside of your home, not the outside. Observe your current windows or opening from inside and study the view carefully; is the color, style and type of window suitable with your home’s current style? Will you be able to easily open the window for cleaning? How does the sunlight appear during the morning and afternoon? And don’t neglect to stand outside from several different viewing positions to properly judge if the style of replacement window you are considering complements with the fascia of your Birmingham home.
- What is the energy efficiency rating of the windows I am considering? Get the statistics relating to your windows that influence their energy efficiency. Among the issues to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Compare ratings of efficiency as you conduct your research to help bring down heating and cooling costs and make the most of your investment.
- Will your new windows operate as you expect them to? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to test operating a window before you settle on one. Does the window open and close smoothly? Will the window be easy to clean? Does the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window blinds or shades undisturbed? If the window will be an emergency exit in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- What is the installation process? The installation of your windows is either added into the overall purchase price or calls for an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How will you maintain your windows? The weather in the Birmingham area varies often. The appearance of your windows can be impacted negatively by wind, sun, rain and snow. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles .
- What choices do you have for color or hardware? Color selection reflects your style and increases the overall appeal of your Birmingham home. Some manufacturers offer a small selection of exterior color options. Figure out what limitations are in place for the windows you may purchase. Don’t forget, that latches and handles complement the style of your home and coordinate with other hardware options in your home, such as faucets, door knobs, hinges, and cabinetry.
- What is the price? The old saying “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to purchasing quality windows. The lowest priced windows may not be your best buy. Shop around and compare. Price should be a factor, but not the only factor.
We urge you to visit Pella at the Birmingham area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 877-680-9617.