How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a stage every Birmingham winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help save money and decrease drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to identify your Birmingham home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the usual windows with workable capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Birmingham to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Birmingham a call at 877-680-9617 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.