Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Birmingham, AL?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Birmingham and there is still time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors helps ensure that your home keeps you comfortable and helps save on energy costs.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to eliminate air from entering the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from entering the home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help add an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient options.
If you want more information about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Birmingham at 877-680-9617.